18 June, 2009

Unapologetically wallowing in nostalgia here...

One of the things I really detest about TV nowadays is that every god-damn pursuit under the sun has to be presented as an aggressive competition, likely as not hosted by pretty idiots and surly 'bad-boys'. Christ it makes me weep.

I wouldn't want to go back to the entertainment landscape of the seventies for a moment - the telly stopped in the afternoons for Bob's sake! (you try telling kids today and they'd probably knife-crime you in the face through puzzlement). But I really, really miss programmes where they'd have an enthusiast just sharing their interest in a subject, stuff like Fred Harris presenting Micro Live. Shorn of cynicism and fake tension telly seems really old-fashioned.

Anybody my age or more will recognise Bob Symes in this clip - I doubt he'd get the gig these days, I think James May is the closest we're allowed.



I believe this clip was George Lucas' inspiration for the Imperial Speeders.

5 Step to the white courtesy phone:

Blogger Tao shout your mess

I think you will find they are called Speeder Bikes....

June 18, 2009 1:29 pm

 
Blogger Chris shout your mess

Yes Tao... it's me that's come out of this looking foolish...


:-)

June 18, 2009 2:10 pm

 
Blogger Roo shout your mess

Notice too that a lot of the boffins wore beards.. very professional

June 18, 2009 11:15 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous shout your mess

I wouldn't say a man operating a lathe is a boffin exactly. Loved the old fat c**t with the comb over.

This nostalgia stuff is all well and good, but the narration was shocking. "This is a wheel". Wow, really? I thought it was a hot air balloon. Christ on a cross!

Lovely locos though.

TTFN

WBB

June 25, 2009 1:31 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous shout your mess

I had that Fred Harris in my shop once .
He bought some distilled water .

Trufax .

June 16, 2011 3:59 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home