19 August, 2009

kick the buckets

The correct tool for the job... what could be more satisfying? Whether the job in hand is torquing up a bolt just so, or carving around a racetrack at speed there's an inherent sense of rightness about using precisely the right equipment to get something done.

Combined with my love of good design it's no wonder that I'll happily pay more for a quality tool - I am I confess a wee bit of a tool snob. Actually scratch that. I'm not a tool snob, I'm just a snob. Porsche are better than Hyundai and there's an end to it. Likewise I'll take Le Creuset over Tefal every time. It's not about the cost or 'bling factor' I'll have the Tokai Strat not the Fender please... just the names I trust to deliver better.

But what could be worse... the very epitome of fail, falling for the hype whilst missing the point by a mile than... buying the expensive named item and then using it incorrectly? Imagine the experienced engineer wincing in pain as his apprentice uses his combination square to prise the lid off a tin of paint. That is what I feel when I see this.


Sportscar bucket seats in the managers dugout at football matches.
When did this start? I don't follow football much, maybe somebody who does can help. I first noticed it during the World Cup in France. But Match of the Day shows they all seem to be at it now.

Is the world of football hypnotised by brandnames or full of idiots? Perhaps the logic went: my Ferrari is expensive, and is very good... it's seats must therefore be very good. You there, I must only sit on seats that look like this from now on.

Twats. Needless to say the job of a racing bucket seat are to keep you snugly in place in spite of substantial lateral G loadings with a squab that allows your feet to operate the pedals well, circumstances that have so far failed to materialise at Old Trafford. Every time you see one of these seats somebody responsible is broadcasting "I am a cunt who is in thrall to brandnames and no more able to think for myself than a festering dog egg".

The first team whose management I see reclining on a van der Rohe Barcelona Chair will be getting my lifetime support.