09 June, 2010

Hans off approach

I was dimly aware that an experiment in Holland had shown that by removing road furniture, signage and painted lines they'd drastically reduced the accident rate. This great article on Jalopnik gives more details of why and some background on the radical traffic engineer Hans Monderman behind the scheme. I heartily recommend it.



Labels: , ,

1 Step to the white courtesy phone:

Blogger Roo shout your mess

I read something on this way back when I used to manage a car fleet, and it really does work.

One theory being all about risk I really liked; the premise being that if we coat all the roads in teflon, put slicks on every car and a sharp spike aimed at the drivers chest, everyone would drive safer.. radical but fun ;o)

June 10, 2010 6:51 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home