13 November, 2006

Beckology

Long admired by designers and fans of clear communication, the London Underground map is an exemplar of smart thinking. You could say it's popularity means it's really gone overground!

*tumbleweed*

Ahem. Mention it's great design and someone is bound to pipe up, that the cleverness lies in it not conforming to geographical reality. "Yeah cheers for that. I hadn't sussed that out for myself twatface, I was waiting for Clarkson to do a piece to camera about it whilst he masturbates into a Union Jack with a picture of a tank on it."

More soul destroying still, everybody then proceeds to think about and interact with information using the same old cliches. Whilst we wait for the next clever bod to think about information slightly sideways - create something clever - then drown in a wave of voices saying "I could have done that", here's a map of the UK motorway system in an underground styley.

A luvverly pdf is available from www.motorwaymap.co.uk

4 Step to the white courtesy phone:

Anonymous Anonymous shout your mess

Forgetting for the present time that I am easily pleased - I think this is so neat.

Mind you I bought a satnav thingy the other week, and on arriving at my destination yesterday, it took me straight into the police station car park - apparently it's postcode is matched with the bed factory I was looking for

November 15, 2006 10:51 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous shout your mess

Oh that's luverly innit?

You know why it works so well? Because of the fact that it does not conform to geographical reality.

November 15, 2006 4:28 pm

 
Blogger Chris shout your mess

G'ah!

November 15, 2006 9:43 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous shout your mess

See Chris - who needs idiots when you have friends like us

November 16, 2006 5:27 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home