25 June, 2007

Film Club - Two-Lane Blacktop

Finally granted a domestic release this month Two-Lane Blacktop finds it's way into my DVD player struggling under a weight of expectation.

It can be tough finally seeing a film that has been denied for many years, I remember my initial disappointment seeing A Clockwork Orange in a Koh Phan Ghan beach bar many moons ago, perhaps I expected something more. TLB struggled to get a video release only because during the fag end of the sixties when it was made none of the groovy heads involved thought to secure soundtrack rights. A real drag man.

I'm glad to say that on this occasion I'm not disappointed. As a long time fan of sparse contemplative movies that don't feel the need to either swamp you with exposition or reward you with an explosion every 5 minutes it hits the spot. You'll never see a major studio picture these days confident enough to give a film this much space to breath. When there is dialogue and action it's usually focused on core American muscle cars - you may want to watch this on one of the evenings that your wife goes out.

If there's a female about to cry foul that "actually I love muscle cars, and widswept New Mexico vistas circa 1971" then I'd love to hear from you. If you're taking time out from your lingerie modelling to help out at your father's brewery - then do please get in touch.

If you enjoyed Vanishing Point, Le Mans, Gas, Food Lodging and Dazed & Confused then give Two-Lane Blacktop a go.

2 Step to the white courtesy phone:

Blogger Ghone shout your mess

Have you ever seen Gerry?
A truly minimalistic film. I thought it was great.

June 25, 2007 11:56 pm

 
Blogger Chris shout your mess

No, but as soon as I saw the cover I thrust my tongue into my lower lip and belmed Matt Damon!

It's a reflex action now. Thanks Trey Parker and Matt Stone.

I shall keep my eyes peeled for it.

June 26, 2007 7:25 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home